ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <>
Subject Re: Semantics of <ant> (was: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/testcases/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs
Date Tue, 06 Nov 2001 17:42:46 GMT
From: "Stefan Bodewig" <>

> On Tue, 30 Oct 2001, Jose Alberto Fernandez <>
> wrote:
> > (1) deprecate "dir" attribute, it is too confusing. Deprecation
> > message asks to use "basedir" param element instead. Implement using
> > antfile and <param name="basedir" ../>.
> dir does the same a "basedir" param would do, I don't see any
> immediate need to drop support for it.  I'd like to resolve antfile
> relative to the current project's basedir instead of the dir attribute
> in Ant2, though.

This is why I think "dir" is very confusing. In most build usages
one does not want to set the basedir but let the project use the
basedir specified in the buildfile being loaded. That is the whole
reason to have it there. But because the way it works you get all
kinds of strange behaviour.

Maybe another solution is to deprecate "dir" and add a new
attribute "basedir" which behaves as expected with antfile
working relative to the caller's basedir.

> > (3) "inheritAll" should not affect the resolution of "basedir" or
> > "ant.file". It makes little sense IMHO to link this two.
> My preferred solution: Drop inheritAll in Ant2.

But part of the reason for having it is to allow conversion to ANT2.
If there is no inheritAll, how do you convert a file that relies in such
inheritance. What I thought it was decided was that in ANT2
"inheritAll='false'" will be the default.

Jose Alberto

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message