ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: <available> / <condition> breaking immutability
Date Tue, 27 Nov 2001 06:24:11 GMT

> But with <tstamp> and its properties, you have something very different.
> These properties are not set by the user but are constants within the
> program. <tstamp> is really a way of declaring "Give me the time now", and
> it just so happens that the way that time is communicated is through 3
> standard properties controlled completely by the task.

well, there are three default properties, but you can choose them. I
regulary create odd timestamps like the YYYY-MM-DD format for zipfile
naming.

  <tstamp>
    <format property="TODAY_UK" pattern="d-MMMM-yyyy" locale="en"/>
  </tstamp>

> In a way, this becomes very similar to what WebDAV calls "Live Properties"
> and "Dead Properties". The live ones are generated by the server, the dead
> ones are under the user's control.

yeah, and that is where webDAV gets complicated, cos it has this 'you can
set any property you like' rule, with the 'except for these ones' caveat.