ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <j_a_fernan...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Generic Element Containers (generalization of TaskContainer)
Date Fri, 30 Nov 2001 18:26:42 GMT
From: "Peter Donald" <peter@apache.org>

> On Sat, 1 Dec 2001 01:57, Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:
>
> > Can we come-up with a way to generalize what we do for TaskContainer?
>
> we have already agreed to do so for Ant2...

Donald, I wouldn't dear to propose something for ANT2 since that seem to be
your exclusive domain. :-)

I was refering to ANT1. Something before 9 months from now.

> > If we provide a way for the Container to indicate which king of thing it
> > can contain then the problem could be solved.
>
> By accepting an interface rather than a implementation?

By providing an interface thay can implement just like TaskContainer.

> > When you decare an object to ANT, like with my infamous <antlib/> you
> > specify onder which cathegory(ies) you want it declared:
> >
> >     <antlib>
> >         <element name="echo"
> >                         class="org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Echo"
> >                         cathegory="task" />
> >         <element name="glob"
> >                         class="...."
> >                         cathegory="mapper" />
> >     <antlib/>
>
> Does anyone ever read anything I write?

Oh yeah, way too much. :-)
But maybe people have different ideas from yours.

> Perhaps we could go with the format I already described.
>
> <antlib>
>   <task name="echo" class="org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Echo"/>
>   <mapper name="glob" class="...." />
> <antlib/>

I have no problem accepting the <task> and <mapper> as shortcuts for
some <element> notations. But my point here is to allow future users to
define their own cathegories that can be made available to their own
task containers. The same way as we have been finding more and more
cathegories of objects that may be convinient, Task writers should be able
to define their own.

> > I think this would provide a quite extensible, easy to manage and
> > consistent mechanism.
>
> Right - something I have been promoting near on a year.

Constructive promotion of features can do wonders!

Jose Alberto