ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <j_a_fernan...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] No need for CLASSPATH in ANT1
Date Wed, 07 Nov 2001 15:13:24 GMT
From: "Peter Donald" <donaldp@apache.org>

> On Wed, 7 Nov 2001 09:34, Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:
> >
> > What kind of tasks are we talking about. Can someone explain?
> > As far as I know, there is nothing in ANT1's API that can be thought to be
> > guaranteeing that classes must be loaded from the CLASSPATH.
>
> Most tasks that need to create their own ClassLoaders will do something like
>
> URLClassLoader classLoader = new URLClassLoader( myURLs );
>
> where they would need to do something like
>
> URLClassLoader classLoader = new URLClassLoader( myURLs,
>             this.getClass().getClassLoader() );
>
> if they wanted the ant runtime classes to be included in classLoader (which
> many do need). It would not be a good idea to break all tasks that create
> their own classloaders (many of which do)..

Thanks Peter, for providing the example I was asking. As I said in another message
I do not want to keep insisting on this issue, but if I look at the Project API
(i.e., the public methods provded) there is right there:

    public ClassLoader getCoreLoader();

which makes me think that correctly written tasks should be using at least something like:

    URLClassLoader classLoader = new URLClassLoader( myURLs,
              this.getProject().getCoreLoader() );

this is why I considered that such tasks were broken as oppose of we changing things.

But granted there may be tasks out there that may break.

Jose Alberto