ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <j_a_fernan...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [Ant2] scoping of properties
Date Fri, 30 Nov 2001 16:52:19 GMT
From: "Stefan Bodewig" <bodewig@apache.org>

> On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Peter Donald <peter@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > ie if we did
> >
> > ant -Dprop1=foo
> >
> > and the buildfile contained
> >
> > <ant file="second.xml" ....>
> >   <param name="prop1" value="bar"/>
> > </ant>
> >
> > would the value of prop1 be foo or bar ?
>
> "foo" following current semantics and also what it should be IMHO.

Are you sure? If I understand the code correctly, it will inherit the user
properties first and then override those passed in the call as new user
properties which as such will replace the old values.

As for what it should be, it makes no sense to assume that properties
need to have the same meaning across every subproject of a build.
Or that users of one need to understand the consequences of changing a
property which happens to have the same name as another being
used on a subproject 5 levels down.

Jose Alberto