ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Ant to manipulate URL's and not only files ?
Date Sun, 25 Nov 2001 19:12:39 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Donald" <peter@apache.org>
To: "Ant Developers List" <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Sunday, November 25, 2001 3:20 AM
Subject: Re: Ant to manipulate URL's and not only files ?

> URL objects are not even vaguely useful enough for our purposes. How do
you
> list the contents of a http: directory (ie you cant)

WebDAV; PROPGET on the base URL will return child files and directories, as
opposed to the index page.

>, while ftp: urls allow
> it it is vastly different from listing a local directory.
>
> To implement this sort of thing you require some sort of virtual
filesystem
> abstraction where each different filesystem can have different
capabilities.
> ie FTP filesystem can list directories, http can read single files, native
> filesystem can detect if files are readable, writeable and so forth.
>
> It has been discussed before and approved I think but the work of
> implementing it has not yet started.
>
> > The next stage for Ant would be to use FTP or WebDAV to manage also Ant
> > outputs ... But this is another debate!

> webdav would be kool.

Ant already supports FTP output very nicely, though it could be a bit
faster.

WebDAV would be very cool indeed, but I think WebDAV based deployment should
take priority over input. If you want webDAV input, both MacOSX and Linux
have DAV filesystems which you just mount.

-Steve