ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Erik Hatcher" <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: <available> / <condition> breaking immutability
Date Tue, 27 Nov 2001 12:48:07 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <j_a_fernandez@yahoo.com>

> This discussion is snowballing into changing the entire behavior of ANT
beyond
> just sticking to inmutability. So a couple of thoughts:

I don't think its really snowballing..... more below....

> The whole point of inheritAll="false" was, as I remember, the recognition
that
> a property call, for example, "src" only makes sense with respect to the
> local buildfile and that the policy of inheriting all was indeed wrong. In
particular
> it required every subproject to have to use different property names to
avoid
> inheritance clashes. inheritall="false" was provided as a way for people
to migrate
> (because of backward compatibility) so that they could prepare for ANT2
when
> the default would be not to inherit. And the reasoning applies the same
way to
> user properties.

Just to clarify.... NO changes whatsoever are being proposed to the
inheritAll feature of <ant>.

Here's how it works now:

- inheritAll="false" - only user properties are copied to the sub-project,
as user properties.
- inheritAll="true" - all properties are copied (user included), but copied
to the sub-project as regular properties (which can therefore be overwritten
by <available> and such).

So, properties are passed to the sub-project no matter the value of
inheritAll.  All properties can be overridden by nested <property> of <ant>.

> If you now change the meaning of inheritall, by allowing some to be
inherited and some not,

Just to reiterate, no, no, no!  :)  We aren't discussing any such changes to
inheritAll.  It will remain as-is as far as this topic is concerned.

> Never mind that it will require changing the parser, just because we
havent being able
> to agree on a way to declare which tasks should be allowed as siblings and
which not.
> We continue to have this patch work of features that half work in a
consistent manner.
> Well enough rumbling for a tuesday morning ;-)

:)

I'll let this one slide for now!

    Erik