ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <j_a_fernan...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: removing deprecated stuff
Date Fri, 23 Nov 2001 02:47:15 GMT
From: "Peter Donald" <peter@apache.org>

> On Fri, 23 Nov 2001 06:07, Steve Loughran wrote:
> > 1. We can pull all references to these from the docs. This stop anybody who
> > doesnt use them now from using them in future
> >
> > 2. We can put a Sleep(20) in front of each call to penalise anyone who uses
> > them. Harsh but a nondestructive means of hinting that they should stop it.
>
> Most of the deprecated tasks/features issue warnings so we don't need to do
> the sleep.
>
> The main reason for leaving deprecated stuff in is so that peoples build
> files don't just fail when they upgrade but they are given warning and can
> gracefull upgrade.

If we never remove anything, then we may as well not give a warning. How can
we say that they will ever upgrade if we guarantee anything and everything we have
ever offered will be always continue to be there in the 1.x line. We may as well
not deprecate anything.

I still think that the best solution is to provide an automatic upgrade tool by providing
an upgrade XSLT template. By having that, we can ensure that people will upgrade
out of deprecated code, and be given easy upgradability for people with old versions
of ANT.

Jose Alberto