ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Curt Arnold" <carn...@houston.rr.com>
Subject Re: better <get> behavior when disconnected
Date Sun, 18 Nov 2001 21:29:28 GMT
Earlier:
>> If I skip the download because the server wasn't available (or the user
>> turned the off-line property on) and the file hasn't already been loaded
>> then the downstream processes will fail with possibly misleading
>> diagnostics.
>>

>From: "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <j_a_fernandez@yahoo.com>

>Why don't you use the <available> task, then. You could just use
>it to verify that all the files you need are there, in a target that
>runs after the optional target for the <get>s task.
>
>If anyone is missing the build will fail gracefully.

Okay, that would allow me to echo a more informative failure notice.  But it
would still require the user to choose different targets for offline
building and will still make unnecessary timestamp requests to the server
when working in on-line mode.

Currently setting usetimestamp="yes" will allow you to effectively do "if
not up-to-date then get" without gymnastics.  All I was suggesting was
another attribute that allowed you to do "if not available then get" without
gymnastics.  Seems like it would be all of 10 lines of trivial code and
generally useful.