ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: assertion changes
Date Thu, 22 Nov 2001 06:49:26 GMT

There is a 'use case' where things break

1. You enable assertions in some library, such as the java runtime
2. someone tries to run your build file on a pre 1.4 system with an old
version of the library

I was about to say on a pre 1.4 system if fork =false then you know the
target JVM version, and so can ignore the settings, but of course you cant
turn asserts on that late into the game.

What you can do on a pre 1.4 box is warn the user that bad things are going
to happen.

We could also have another option flag or specify what to do with asserts.

<assert use="ifcurrentJVM" > ... or "true", "false" . That way you could set
a property to turn asserts on or off on a per user basis, but still leave
assert statements in the <java> call.

What do people think?

-Steve

NB, I have 1.4b on a system now, so can play with these assert flags.