ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Magesh Umasankar" <umag...@apache.org>
Subject Re: removing deprecated stuff
Date Thu, 29 Nov 2001 21:09:38 GMT
From: "Stefan Bodewig" <bodewig@apache.org>

> On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, Magesh Umasankar <umagesh@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > How about showing deprecated warnings only when ant
> > is run in -deprecated mode?
>
> This would make things even worse for us.  Users that don't care what
> will be broken by an update, will never see this warning.

I was just proposing an alternative much like javac which *warns* user
that user has used deprecated stuff.  If user is so concerned, user
will compile with -deprecation turned on.  Similarly, when ant is launched,
if build.xml contains deprecated tasks, attributes, etc. we just show a
line saying build.xml contains deprecated stuff.  Run with -deprecation to
get detailed deprecation warnings.

> Nobody is going to enable that switch.

How are you so sure? :-)
I, for one, have enabled -deprecation flag for javac numerous times to
make sure I am not using any deprecated stuff.  It is just a discipline
that we must encourage, instead of having to *force* the user to read
deprecated messages again and again.

If you prefer, turn on -deprecated flag by default (like jikes) or turn it
off
(like javac)?

Magesh