ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Antjar and Antlib
Date Mon, 12 Nov 2001 08:23:14 GMT
We got a bit distracted with all that discussion about tasks as siblings at
target -so much so that Jose Alberto Fernandez's new classes to actually
load the task from a descriptor in the DTD got neglected.

I have added it, extending it slightly to support classpath specification at
the time you declare a library, so you can pull in dependent libraries. It
now implements what was discussed before

-load in a descriptor from META-INF/antlib.xml, validate it against our DTD
-define the tasks listed
-support renaming 'aliasing' in the declaration
-support overriding of old definitions (off by default)

I have also pulled out any support for this to be declared outside of a
target. It doesnt use the Jose's refactoring of ProjectHelper of an
interface and checks for interface implementation, and
I decided not to stir controversy by adding another string check to the
class either. Scope of declaration is now a separate issue from the task
itself.

Along with the lib task comes the JAR task; AntJar is a variant of Jar which
takes the name of a descriptor and puts it in the right place. The task also
validates the XML file when the attribute is assigned -this is a nice little
trick we could consider adding to the War task as an optional extra.

Todos:
-tests, tests, more tests!
-use in peoples builds to see how well it works and what changes are needed
-finalise the DTD. What more to add as optional and required elements?
-doc changes in the 'developing with ant' page
-xdoclet task to create the descriptor from javadocs

I think this is a really nice bit of feature creep for ant. It's been
discussed on and off for ages, and this implementation does what people have
asked for. And we have enough time before any new releases to stabilise this
new task import process.

-Steve