ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Magesh Umasankar" <umag...@apache.org>
Subject Re: removing deprecated stuff
Date Sun, 25 Nov 2001 04:16:52 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Donald" <peter@apache.org>
To: "Ant Developers List" <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Saturday, November 24, 2001 9:19 PM
Subject: Re: removing deprecated stuff

> On Sun, 25 Nov 2001 10:31, Steve Loughran wrote:
> > Actually, we can something very simple for deprecation:
> >
> >     pull the deprecated entry points out into a separate library.
>
> works for me.

Woudn't this only work for deprecated tasks?  What about the
deprecated APIs?  How would you remove the deprecated
methods within an undeprecated task?

Also, how are we planning to migrate those folks who have been
using Ant's APIs?  build.xml migration may be done (?) with
XSL translation, but what about the custom tasks that are
coded with Ant's API?

By moving deprecated stuff into a separate jar, what do we
really achieve?  It is just one level closer to extinction, but it
is still there, right?  So, why bother splitting it up into 2 jars?
What if we just say bold and clear that deprecated tasks/APIs
will not be *supported*?  i.e., if any enhancement requests, etc.
are made on those, we don't do anything - same as shelving it,
without having to maintain 2 jars.  Didn't we heave a sigh when
optional.jar merged with the main jar?

> The size of the jars are not really an issue I wouldn'y think. I would be
> very surprised if they got close to 100k. So I would include it by default
> and allow people to nuke em if they saw fit.

Very few would actually bother to get rid of it.  How many times do users
who download applications bother to study which files are useful and
which aren't?  Raise your hands, those of you, who confidently delete
unused dlls when uninstalling windows applications ;-)  What I am trying
to say is that users wouldn't have enough confidence to nuke the extra
jar - they would rather leave an additional 100k in there.

Magesh