ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Problem with JUnit's TestCase.getName change
Date Tue, 23 Oct 2001 10:03:45 GMT
On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Steve Loughran <steve_l@iseran.com> wrote:

> Which means for ant to build under java1.4 with source=1.4 we would
> need to migrate all junit tests which use the old assert() method to
> the new one.

I'll take that one, I have no problem with stating that the <junit>
task supports JUnit 3.x while Ant's testcases require JUnit >= 3.7.

> ps: why do Junit keep changing their methods all the time?

They do?  This is the second change that I recall, and no change has
been too difficult to follow (the other one was changing the signature
of addFailure in the TestListener interface).

I'd blame one change on Erich Gamma's C++ background (where you'd use
name() and name(String) instead of getName() and setName(String) by
convention) and the other one on oversight.

And I'd blame all "problems" we've seen with JUnit so far (mostly a
lack of communication) on the author's inexperience when it comes to
Open Source development.

Back to the topic, I'm going to commit the reflection based workaround
now (to make Gump happy) and we can remove it again later.

Stefan