ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <>
Subject Re: How does Ant work?
Date Wed, 17 Oct 2001 07:37:04 GMT
On Sat, 6 Oct 2001, Sivaprasad Kancherla
<> wrote:

> From what I can understand from the source code there are just a
> handful of files -,,,
>, and

Yes, these are the foundation that Ant builds upon - then there are
the tasks themselves (subclasses of Task in the taskdefs package),
data types (the types package) and some utility classes.

> It is taking quite a long time to understand it from the code. Is
> there any documentation on the working of these files, which form
> the foundation for Ant?

Nothing apart from the source and javadoc comments, sorry.

> Or can somebody send me some tips on where to delve for the details?

For a starter I'd leave out IntrospectionHelper, this class only
implements the algorithms explained in the points 2 to 5 of the first
list in <>.  Just
take that as granted and come back to it later.

ProjectHelper parses the build file and sets up a tree of objects
corresponding to the XML structure, you better have at least some
understanding of SAX to follow it.

Then you can focus on Project, Target and Task to see how it all fits

View raw message