ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Ant2] scoping of properties
Date Mon, 22 Oct 2001 09:42:26 GMT
On Sat, 20 Oct 2001, Peter Donald <donaldp@apache.org> wrote:

> (6) Access of "peer" projects proeprties. Where a "peer" is defined
> via a <projectref/> tag. So if we define project "jasper" should we
> be able to access a property like
> "jasper::dist.dir"/"jasper->dist.dir"

OK.

> Personally I think I most prefer (1)/(3) because that is how we have
> it now and thus it would be less of a steeper learning curve.

I agree with you, though I'd probably change the default value of
<ant>'s inheritall to be false.

I don't really think we need target scoped properties and container
scoped should be handled by the container itself (if <foreach> needs
an iterator, it should take responsibility of restoring the old
property/unsetting it if necessary IMHO).

I haven't made up my mind on "global" properties, i.e. an ability for
subbuilds to set properties for parent builds yet.  Most use cases
that ask for could probably be satisfied by the <projectref /> stuff.

And then there is:

* Add an attribute to <ant> to feed back the environment (properties and
  taskdefs) from the child build to the parent.

  [REJECTED - vetoes by Conor MacNeill, Peter Donald, Simeon Fitch and
              Stefan Bodewig]

* Allow a target to reference properties defined in another buildfile.

  [REJECTED - only one +1 vote]

8-)

Stefan