ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: PROPOSAL: loading tasks from jars for Ant 1.5
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2001 18:41:05 GMT
Ovidiu Predescu wrote:

> A simpler solution to the one proposed above is to this is to allow
> antlib to appear inside a <target> element. This way one can write the
> build.xml file that builds a new antlib in a target, and makes use of
> it in another target. Something like this:
> [snip]
> I'm not sure what are the implications with the current class loader
> mechanisms, but a solution can probably be worked out.

I believe that some of the Ant 2.x designs are conducive to such an
approach, but the last time I looked, this was problematic with the current
design.

The root problem is (was?) that tasks objects are created and then executed
one by one.  It is hard to create a strongly typed task object when the
task has not been defined just yet.

- Sam Ruby