ant-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Dawson <tdaw...@wamnet.com>
Subject RE: top level tags in ant vs. "init" task as an attribute of proj ect
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2001 13:10:39 GMT
> comiitters don't like notion of "magic" names for tasks.

... and I would have been one of them!  Keeping things clear and
straightforward should be the defualt, and "magic" names certainly wouldn't
provide that.  This is also why I don't like the ability to put things other
than targets directly under project -- its not clear at all which tasks are
allowed at the top level, and which aren't... until you try.

But I don't think allowing an init target has anything to do with "magic"
names...  If the project element allowed an "init" attribute, then the
target name wouldn't be magic; at least no more than the default target is.

e.g.

<project name="foo" init="startup" default="all">

  <target name="startup">
    <!-- no new magic here... -->
  </target>

  <target name="all">