ant-dev mailing list archives

From Bree_Van...@amsinc.com
Subject Re: Optional Task Submission: Jakarta-Tomcat 4.0 manager webapp tasks
Date Wed, 17 Oct 2001 12:44:38 GMT

> What I tried to say is "Why don't you try to contribute it to
> Tomcat4?".  Tomcat already ships with some version of Ant, adding a
> custom task to Tomcat wouldn't be too difficult.

Sounds good. I've submitted the tasks to the tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org list
and will post to this list a link if/when they accept the tasks.

Thanks for your direction. I wasn't sure whom to submit the optional tasks to,
but since there are optional tasks on the ant site I sorta figured that the ant
group was the appropriate place. Maybe a sentence or two could be added to the
"optional tasks" or "developing with ant" sections of the documentation that
concisely states what to do if you (the ant user) want to share your custom
tasks with the world.

-bree

|--------+----------------------->
|        |          Stefan       |
|        |          Bodewig      |
|        |          <bodewig@apac|
|        |          he.org>      |
|        |                       |
|        |          10/17/2001   |
|        |          01:31 AM     |
|        |          Please       |
|        |          respond to   |
|        |          ant-dev      |
|        |                       |
|--------+----------------------->
  |       To:     ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org                                   |
  |       cc:     (bcc: Bree Vanoss/AMS/AMSINC)                                |
  |       Subject:     Re: Optional Task Submission: Jakarta-Tomcat 4.0 manager|
  |       webapp tasks                                                         |

On Tue, 16 Oct 2001, Bree Vanoss <Bree_Vanoss@amsinc.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure I quite understand what you mean when you say "tomcat
> itself". The tasks are really just a fairly simple wrapper around
> existing Tomcat functionality. However, I thought it may be useful
> to some members of the ant community that are developing with Tomcat
> 4.x.

What I tried to say is "Why don't you try to contribute it to
Tomcat4?".  Tomcat already ships with some version of Ant, adding a
custom task to Tomcat wouldn't be too difficult.

These tasks will be very useful for people running Tomcat4, but not
for the rest of the Ant community, so Tomcat feels like the natural
home for it (much like the AspectJ compiler task is part of AspectJ).

We'd add a pointer to the tasks at
<http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/external.html> and make those people
using older version of Tomcat4 aware of it.

What do you think?

Stefan