ant-dev mailing list archives

Subject Re: Optional Task Submission: Jakarta-Tomcat 4.0 manager webapp tasks
Date Tue, 16 Oct 2001 19:03:03 GMT

I'm not sure I quite understand what you mean when you say "tomcat itself". The
tasks are really just a fairly simple wrapper around existing Tomcat
functionality. However, I thought it may be useful to some members of the ant
community that are developing with Tomcat 4.x.

An example that illustrates the basic idea is that a developer could enter the
url http://localhost:8080/manager/list in a browser, enter a valid username and
password when prompted by the browser and the list of deployed webapps would be
displayed in the browser.

I wanted to use this "manager" webapp functionality from ant so that I could
compile, build a war, and then redeploy the webapp, from ant without having to
bounce the server or enter a command in a browser. I didn't see an ant task that
would allow me to access a password protected resource via http, so I created it

|        |          Stefan       |
|        |          Bodewig      |
|        |          <bodewig@apac|
|        |>      |
|        |                       |
|        |          10/16/2001   |
|        |          10:45 AM     |
|        |          Please       |
|        |          respond to   |
|        |          ant-dev      |
|        |                       |
  |       To:                                   |
  |       cc:     (bcc: Bree Vanoss/AMS/AMSINC)                                |
  |       Subject:     Re: Optional Task Submission: Jakarta-Tomcat 4.0 manager|
  |       webapp tasks                                                         |

On Fri, 5 Oct 2001, Bree Vanoss <> wrote:

> Attached is a zip archive containing a set of task defs that can be
> used to interact with the manager webapp that comes with
> Jakarta-Tomcat 4.0.

I like these tasks - and agree with the comment that a single task
with multiple command alternatives might be better.

But, wouldn't Tomcat itself be the more natural choice for these tasks
(as much as wlrun/wlstop would better be a part of Weblogic, but that
is not an open source product)?

View raw message