ant-dev mailing list archives

From Bevan Arps <bevan.a...@actfs.co.nz>
Subject Re: [Ant2] Tasks as siblings of <target>
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2001 20:01:04 GMT
At 09:39 31/10/2001 +0100, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>Seems we have three options left that didn't receive any -1s:
>
>(1) All tasks (and types) can be placed into an <init> construct which
>is much like a target, but cannot have dependencies of its own.  All
>targets depend on this one implicitly.  No tasks or types can be
>siblings of target.

Just a thought from a satisfied Ant user ...

What about making this a proper target (ie no special syntax or anything)
but have it identified in the project element.

ie something like this:

<project
     name="myTestProject"
     default="buildEverything"
     initialise="getReady">

<target name="buildEverything">
</target>

<target name="getReady">
</target>

</project>

The "contract" could be simply that the initialise target always gets
executed first, reguardless of what other targets are invoked.

I don't think that there would be any need to restrict it from having it's
own depends list - since an initialisation target could be used to ensure
things are available, having a number of dependencies to check for the
availability of files/classes/xxx could be useful.

Cheers,
Bevan.

--
"Programming is an Art Form that Fights Back"

Bevan Arps (<mailto:bevan.arps@actfs.co.nz>bevan.arps@actfs.co.nz)
Senior OO Analyst, ACT Financial Systems

This communication  is confidential  to ACT  Financial  Systems  (Asia
Pacific)  and is intended for  use only by the  addressee.   The  views and
opinions  expressed in  this email  are the senders  own and do not
Pacific).