ant-dev mailing list archives

From Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject Re: Problem with parallel mode
Date Tue, 30 Oct 2001 11:59:29 GMT
Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:

> From: "Ken Wood" <kwood@i2.com>
>
>>Parallel, async, I don't care the details
>>of the implementation. I just need to get
>>my job done.
>>

> In the case of build exceptions (build failures), the standard answer is to use a BuildListener
which shutsdown
> the server in case of a failure. Yes it requires programming from you, but it could be
as simple as executing an ANT target that runs the code to shutdown.

Hmmm, wonder about executing a target from within a build listener.
Might work - don't know how deps would be handled, etc. I'm not that
keen on the <catch> and explicit <kill> concept but I think it does have
the advantage of expressing the handling of such situations in the same
construct, not off in some separate listener code. I know that is
probably a fine line.

>>2. The Ant 1.4 documentation specifically uses the example
>>   of starting a server and running tests against it and
>>   stopping the server. If that is NOT what <parallel> is
>>   for, then better documentation and examples are in order...
>>

> I never believed too much on those particular examples, to tell you the truth. But I
did not created that task. ;-)

Why not? What didn't you believe? It is a common requirement - build
server code, run and test server. It was always this scenario which
motivated this sort of facility, right back to my original <async> patch.

Conor