ant-dev mailing list archives

From Ken Wood <kw...@i2.com>
Subject Re: Problem with parallel mode
Date Tue, 30 Oct 2001 02:29:54 GMT
Parallel, async, I don't care the details
of the implementation. I just need to get
my job done.

The 'requirement' is to be able to start
a server, and run tests against it. This is a
build activity, because the server started using
the code we just compiled, and the tests
are unit tests against the server API. The build
is no good if the server can't start, or the
unit tests fail...

The requirement is also to be able to shutdown
cleanly in the event of a test stuck in a loop, and
to be able to shutdown cleanly in the event of
a build exception. The specifics of how that requirement
are moot to me.

However, why am I using <parallel> right now?

1. It EXISTS. It's there. All the rest is discussion.
   And I don't have time to be doing the programming
   or extensions, or I would already have done it...

2. The Ant 1.4 documentation specifically uses the example
   of starting a server and running tests against it and
   stopping the server. If that is NOT what <parallel> is
   for, then better documentation and examples are in order...

-ken

P.S.

How do I 'check "tests.succesful" to verify if tests passed or not'?
That sounds like scripting to me, and Ant doesn't have conditionals
or branching... :^)

Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:

> From: "Ken Wood" <kwood@i2.com>
>
> > Another aspect to consider is, how much do we want to focus
> > on near term fixes to the Ant 1.x stream of development vs.
> > discussing the best way to do it in Ant 2.x? Since Conor
> > added the parallel task, I'd be happy to see his proposal,
> > and unless there is some tremendous reason NOT to, let Conor
> > update parallel for Ant 1.x while we debate Ant 2.x design.
> >

> The problem I have here is the BCS (Backward Compatibility Syndrome) whatever we define
today (in a rush) we will have to provide the same functionality in the future. Like, for
example, the issue with <ant> where all the management of "basedir" is really a mess
IMHO. But because that the way it is, now there is no way to change it.
> Even in Ant2, I suspect, we will have to provide ways to mimic this odd behaviour (even
if with different notation) so that people have a way to port their builds over.

> > In other words, I'd like a solution this week, not 3 months
> > of debate (be it civil or not :^) while I continue to kludge
> > this by manualing shutdown the server from another console,
> > then ending the build from the command line with CTRL-C...
> >

> One of the things I notice in the kind of problem you are facing is that you are trying
to use <parallel> to workaround the fact that ANT is unable to spawn new processes which
is what starting a server should mean IMHO.
> If you were to have such capability, then one could solve your problem as follows:
>
>     <target ....>
>       <spawn ...> <!-- command to start the server -->
>       <timed  maxtime="3600" failoncancel="no" >
>         <junit ... failonerror="no" >
>         <property name="tests.succesful" value="true" />
>       </timed>
>       <exec ...> <!-- stop server call -->
>       <!-- check "tests.succesful" to verify if tests passed or not -->
>     </target>
>
> Now, here I am trying to get back to using a single thread of execution by having a way
to really fork a process.
> I think such functionality is quite feasible or in the worst case it can be emulated
using daemon Threads.
> The other task I propose is <timed> (for lack of a better name). The point of this
task is to alot a certain amount
> of time to execute its body, if time is exceeded <timed> is stopped and depending
on the setting the task will fail or not.

> Now, this does not diminish the usefulness of <parallel> nor the need for more
supporting tasks, but it may give us more time to discuss how to do it right.