ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Craeg K. Strong" <cstr...@arielpartners.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs Ant.java
Date Fri, 26 Oct 2001 22:00:14 GMT
Peter Donald wrote:

>The diff below has seemed to break a whole bunch of my build files and I am
>not imediately sure why.

I am not in a position to be able to test this immediately,  but have
you tried a small testcase?
There are four possible scenarios:

1) inheritall = true, dir attribute specified
2) inheritall = true, no dir attribute
3) inheritall = false, dir attribute specified
4) inheritall = false, no dir attribute

You can write a pair of tiny buildfiles to test each one...

I did this, and all tests passed as expected when I first developed the
patch.

However, I did not submit the test code, because I could not figure out
how to automate it.

The problem is-- how can you retrieve values from a new project in our
junit framework?
I don't know how to get my grubby hands on the newproject instance.

Therefore I could not automate the tests, and sent an email to the list
about it (no replies yet):
http://www.mail-archive.com/ant-dev%40jakarta.apache.org/msg10079.html

I guess we could add some sort of hook or use reflection or something,
but it might involve some
changes to non-test code.  Then again, refactoring code to facilitate
testing is not such a bad thing, right?

Another alternative would be to print something using the echo task and
grab stdout.  Kind of icky,
but it would avoid changes to non-test code.

As soon as I emerge from my current work-crisis, I will spend some time
on this...

HTH,

--Craeg