ant-dev mailing list archives

From Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject Re: Optional tasks
Date Fri, 05 Oct 2001 11:51:45 GMT
Kevin Jones wrote:

> How does ant 'know' about the optional tasks? Are they defined as part of
> the Ant core?
>
> For example if I use the JUnit task Ant picks the taskdef directly from
> options.jar (or whatever this releases jar file is called. But if I create
> my own task I have to put a taskdef in my build.xml file, even if I put the
> jar file containing the task into ant\lib. I was wondering where the
> optional task magic comes from?

Kevin, there isn't much magic. All of the optional tasks that come with
Ant are defined in the default.properties resource within Ant, along
with the core tasks. The distinction between a core and an optional task
is somewhat fuzzy. In general a core task requires no additional
resources beyond those provided by the JDK and Ant itself. Optional
tasks usually require something more, that some Ant users may not have
installed. It maybe a third party library (jar) such as JUnit or it
could be something from the javax namespace. Further, IMHO, core tasks
are somewhat more fundamental in some way. Optional tasks are
effectively taskdef'd for you, but without the opportunity to specify
the classpath, etc. They are required to be on the classpath, which the
optional.jar normally is.

Overall the mechanism is rather unsatisfactory and we have long
considered a different approach of task libraries which when you drop
them into your ANT_HOME/lib area would automatically make the tasks
available, subject to some mechanism to handle ambiguous tasknames.

Conor