ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How does JAXP Factory works?
Date Sun, 28 Oct 2001 01:29:51 GMT
On Sun, 28 Oct 2001 11:38, Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:
> > The version of JAXP shipped with Ant 1.4 is already using the context
> > classloader and is the one that is bundled with crimson 1.1.1 bugfix
> > release. (Dated from June 26).
>
> The issue is not the use of the ContextClassLoader but the fact that the
> fallback code (when CCL not set or not available -- JDK1.1) seems to me is
> wrong. The code will only look on the System classloader, that means there
> is no chance for the code to look in the same classloader as where JAXP was
> loaded. Which is the only reasonable thing to do IMHO if CCL is not set.

I disagree. The only reasonable thing would be to have JAXP act the same
regardless of which JVM it is in. JAXP is in the bootclass loader (or is it
extensions classloader?) in jdk1.4 and thus can only access System
classloader. I think it would be unacceptable that code that worked perfectly
well in 1.1->1.3 would break in 1.4 - especially widely used stuff like XML.
Theres already enough gotchas and upgrade headaches as there is.

--
Cheers,

Pete