ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Ant2] Tasks as siblings of <target>
Date Sun, 21 Oct 2001 11:37:35 GMT
On Sun, 21 Oct 2001 21:31, Erik Hatcher wrote:
> Currently a <script> task could not easily accept a <fileset> as other
> tasks do (as embedded sub elements).  I'm sure there is some roundabout
> trickery that could reference a fileset defined elsewhere, but nothing that
> provides a pluggable framework such that <script> could cleanly take a
> <fileset> (or a set of filesets, attributes, etc) and get the same
> introspection mechanism invoked that a regular Java developed task enjoys.
> I don't think I'm missing some wonderfully elegant way to accomplish this
> currently, but if I am I'd love to be enlightened as to how.

Yep at the current time there is no "infrastructure" that makes it easy to
write scripts. Even writing tasks is not as easy as it should be and there is
a lot of copy-paste coding going on. Hopefully when we get the basic system
up and running someone will come up with an easier way to specify things like
this.

Essentially it will be coming up with a set of beans that reasonably abstract
and simplify the task environment. Not sure really.

> Am I at least in the same ballpark as the ideas being discussed here?

Sorta .. well actually no. We are talking how the container would support
such tasks. While you are talking about the infrastructure the task must
create to make script writing easy ;)

--
Cheers,

Pete