ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Ant2] Tasks as siblings of <target>
Date Sat, 20 Oct 2001 01:55:16 GMT
On Sat, 20 Oct 2001 11:41, Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:
> > Not in ant2. It will spit the dummy saying ${lkjdsfa} is not defined.
>
> Since when? When was this decision made?

ages ago. When JDD was still with us it was decided. Not sure if everyone
still agrees with this.

> Where is the code for it?

looked at any of the proposals?

> > > I still think there is an intrinsic ANT concept of "actions that
> > > declare things" that we need to take into account in a more general and
> > > orthogonal fashion than what we do today. And no, they may not be just
> > > properties.
> >
> > you keep saying that but I have yet to see an example.
>
> Well, we have the <property> task which declare things,

right but thats already covered.

>we have the
> <taskdef> and <typedef> which do a similar thing, we have the different
> <type> instance declarations

which will not be needed in ant2.

>and we have the new <antlib> and <projectref>
> declarations.

which need to be in container and not tasks anyway... though I recall having
said all this before.

> Ans that just cover what we have come up with at this point
> of the evolution of ANT. I doubt we can say that this is the end of it and
> that ant will not evolve any further.

So you mean there is no examples you can think of at this point ?

> There is definetly a concept of declarations in ANT and if you do  not
> think this is the case you will have to prove it to me.

I don't have to prove anything. You are the one wanting it added and I am the
one -1'ing it. Declarations exist - thats not in doubt. The question is there
a need for anything besides properties tasks at the top level ? So far you
have not shown that there is.

--
Cheers,

Pete

 Beer is proof that God loves us and wants
 us to be happy. -- Benjamin Franklin