ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: C++ tasks
Date Fri, 12 Oct 2001 22:46:06 GMT
On Sat, 13 Oct 2001 00:21, Summerwill, Bob wrote:
> Having a C++ compilation task allows C++ or mixed-language projects to move
> from makefiles to XML build files.  This has got all the same benefits as
> Ant already gives to Java projects.  I think it would be a fantastic
> addition to Ant.

The problem is that in general C++ files are far more complicated than Java
files. (Because they have to maintaing cross-platform stuff themselves). So
ant in its current form would have difficulty with this.

However a decent system may be able to be built but it would probably mean
simplifying things a lot. ie Similar hierarchy rules to java;

foo/bar.c -> foo/bar.o

simple facades over compiler tools etc. Maybe could be good - not sure ;)

--
Cheers,

Pete

"An intellectual is someone who has been educated
beyond their intelligence."