ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: SUMMARY: loading tasks from jars for Ant 1.5 summary feedback
Date Thu, 11 Oct 2001 21:56:28 GMT
On Fri, 12 Oct 2001 07:24, Tim Dawson wrote:
> In summary of the previous thread the proposal is now:
>
> ------------
> 1. Deployment Descriptor
>
> Specify a deployment descriptor for an antlib jar. This would reside in
> "meta-inf/antlib.xml" and have a simple structure:
>
> <antlib version="1.0">
>    <task name="..." class="..."/>
>    <task name="..." class="..."/>
>    <type name="..." class="..."/>
>    <type name="..." class="..."/>
> </antlib>
>
> NOTE: datatype shortened to "type" from previous proposal.

-1 I would shorten it to data instead. AS in future we will have other types
(Conditions, Mappers etc)

> 3. JDK 1.1 Compatibility
>
> Update the classloader to support getResources() under 1.1.
>
> 4. Antlib Task
>
> Add a new task "tasklib" which can be used to load a jar file containing
> ant tasks and datatypes.  A file attribute can specify a jar file, or a
> nested <path> element can be used as well.

I say we just extend taskdef to add a new atribute antlib="". Seems easier
and more consistent. Especially as we probably won't need <antlib /> come
ant2.

> 5. Task Name Collisions
>
> The antlib task must also provide the capability to overrride the task
> names defined in the deployment descriptor.  If a tasklib is loaded and a
> collision is detected without an alias, the build fails.
>
> e.g.
>   <antlib file="foo.jar">
>     <taskalias libtask="task1" name="foo-task1"/>
>     <typealias libtype="type1" name="foo-type1"/>
>   </antlib>

I am not sure we should be doing aliasing right here, right now. I see
aliasing as only really needed with import style functionality in ant2.

--
Cheers,

Pete

"If you don't know where you want to go, we'll make
sure you get taken."
Microsoft ad slogan, translated into Japanese.