ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <>
Subject Re: SUMMARY: loading tasks from jars for Ant 1.5 summary feedback
Date Thu, 11 Oct 2001 21:56:28 GMT
On Fri, 12 Oct 2001 07:24, Tim Dawson wrote:
> In summary of the previous thread the proposal is now:
> ------------
> 1. Deployment Descriptor
> Specify a deployment descriptor for an antlib jar. This would reside in
> "meta-inf/antlib.xml" and have a simple structure:
> <antlib version="1.0">
>    <task name="..." class="..."/>
>    <task name="..." class="..."/>
>    <type name="..." class="..."/>
>    <type name="..." class="..."/>
> </antlib>
> NOTE: datatype shortened to "type" from previous proposal.

-1 I would shorten it to data instead. AS in future we will have other types
(Conditions, Mappers etc)

> 3. JDK 1.1 Compatibility
> Update the classloader to support getResources() under 1.1.
> 4. Antlib Task
> Add a new task "tasklib" which can be used to load a jar file containing
> ant tasks and datatypes.  A file attribute can specify a jar file, or a
> nested <path> element can be used as well.

I say we just extend taskdef to add a new atribute antlib="". Seems easier
and more consistent. Especially as we probably won't need <antlib /> come

> 5. Task Name Collisions
> The antlib task must also provide the capability to overrride the task
> names defined in the deployment descriptor.  If a tasklib is loaded and a
> collision is detected without an alias, the build fails.
> e.g.
>   <antlib file="foo.jar">
>     <taskalias libtask="task1" name="foo-task1"/>
>     <typealias libtype="type1" name="foo-type1"/>
>   </antlib>

I am not sure we should be doing aliasing right here, right now. I see
aliasing as only really needed with import style functionality in ant2.

"If you don't know where you want to go, we'll make
sure you get taken."
Microsoft ad slogan, translated into Japanese.

View raw message