ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Optional tasks
Date Thu, 11 Oct 2001 20:40:34 GMT
On Fri, 12 Oct 2001 04:37, Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:
> To make things clear, in JDK1.3 there are two types of Optional packages:
> INSTALLED optional packages (what was called Extensions before) and
> DOWNLOAD optional packages which are the jars declared in the ClassPath
> entry of another jar. Such packages are not installed permanently but
> loaded relative to the location of the jar calling it every time is needed.

And to make it even more confusing, the INSTALLED Optional Packages can be
downloaded - ugg ;)

> > > What I think is needed is mechanism where these classes upon which a
> > > task depends are loaded through the tasklib's classloader but whose
> > > location is not known when the tasklib jar is put together.
> >
> > Sounds like the Optional Packages/Extensions mechanism to me ;)
>
> Yes, but the DOWLOADED one. For that, all what is needed is to set
> ClassPath entry on the manifest of the jar of the ant-library, and then put
> any additional jars in the correct location relative to that library. You
> could even have different libraries using diferent versions of optional
> packages.

I am not sure I agree. I don't much like the "Class-Path:" attribute style
because that is too brittle. I would much prefer the other style where the
manifest just declares it needs a DOM version 2.0 and it is up to the Ant
container to locate the appropriate product (ie xerces or crimson or some
other parser).

--
Cheers,

Pete

 Mark Twain: "In the real world, the right thing never
happens in the right place at the right time. It is
the task of journalists and historians to rectify
this error."