ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: FileSet of 1 file?
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2001 13:39:50 GMT
On Wed, 10 Oct 2001 23:13, Conor MacNeill wrote:
> Peter Donald wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just had a discussion with someone about FileSet behaviour. Is there a
> > reason that FileSet does not allow specification of a single file.
> > Something like;
> >
> > <fileset file="foo.txt" />
> >
> > Currently you have to specify a directory of "." then include "foo.txt".
> > However this is not really possible when the file you are using is
> > userdefined. Mainly as you don't know what directory it is located in and
> > thus can't get at it as ant doesn't have a dirname task.
> >
> > Would there be any objections to me adding such functionality?
>
> A filelist type was added just prior to the 1.4 release and would seem
> to be more appropriate. Whether the two could be unified, I haven't look
> into yet.

I think FileList and FileSet are different beasts. FileList looks to be a
workaround for the fact that FileSets are resolved immediately upon
definition. Beside my main want is to allow files that you don't know the
directory for to be used in existing tasks. Using FileList would imply going
and modifying all these tasks to support the feature which I am not sure is
the right thing to do. After all a FileSet containing one file is still a set
of Files ;)

--
Cheers,

Pete

    If your life passes before your eyes when you die,
 does that include the part where your life passes before
                        your eyes?