ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: top level tags in ant vs. "init" task as an attribute of proj ect
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2001 13:25:38 GMT
On Wed, 10 Oct 2001 23:10, Tim Dawson wrote:
> > comiitters don't like notion of "magic" names for tasks.
>
> ... and I would have been one of them!  Keeping things clear and
> straightforward should be the defualt, and "magic" names certainly wouldn't
> provide that.  This is also why I don't like the ability to put things
> other than targets directly under project -- its not clear at all which
> tasks are allowed at the top level, and which aren't... until you try.

I am all for that.

> But I don't think allowing an init target has anything to do with "magic"
> names...  If the project element allowed an "init" attribute, then the
> target name wouldn't be magic; at least no more than the default target is.

I am not all for this though. This seems to be adding complexity without any
real benefit. We already have a method for exectuting a target before others
(namely depend attribute of target) so I would prefer to use this rather than
creating another project property.

--
Cheers,

Pete

you've made a dangerous leap right over common
sense, like some kind of metaphysical Evil Knievel