ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ant 1.5... loading tasks from jars?
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2001 08:37:30 GMT
On Tue, 9 Oct 2001 15:50, Ted Neward wrote:
> Why go with a formal "task descriptor"? Why not just embed the task
> definitions inside of the .jar's manifest file?

XML is easier to edit. XML is a more standard way to describe meta-info these
days. I actually prefer manifest entries but no one else does ;)

> What, besides the classname of the task definitions, would you need to
> provide in the task descriptor? (I ask this out of ignorance, not a desire
> to pick a fight. :) )

Nothing IMHO - but other people have suggested all sorts of ludicrous things
;)

> FWIW, I'd love to see Ant get to the point of a "tasklib" directory similar
> to the extensions directory in Java2--just drop the "tasklib" .jar into the
> directory, and Ant'll pick it up on the next pass, taskdefs included.

Thats where it is heading. Ant will do it and some of the proposals for ant2
have done it since last year or so ;)

--
Cheers,

Pete

"The perfect way is only difficult for those who pick and choose.  Do not
like, do not dislike; all will then be clear.  Make a hairbreadth
difference and heaven and earth are set apart; if you want the truth to
stand clear before you, never be for or against." - Bruce Lee