ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: top level tags in ant vs. "init" task as an attribute of project
Date Fri, 05 Oct 2001 17:23:09 GMT
On Sat, 6 Oct 2001 02:09, Tim Dawson wrote:
> What I'd like to recommend is for those elements to need to be defined
> inside a target, and to add to the <project> tag an "init" attribute to
> complement the "default" attribute. Whereas "default" is the default target
> to execute if one is not defined, "init" would be a target to execute once
> before doing anything.
>
> I know that my code is littered with depends="init" on almost all targets,
> even though most of the time its unnecessary since init has already
> executed due to a previous dependency. I'd like to only have it where
> necessary, but its hard to keep track. It sure would be nice to be able to
> remove those, and it would also be nice to have the consistency of having
> everything inside <project> be a <target>.

This was actually the case at one time and a whole bunch of ant-dev
committers agreed that it was the "right thing to do" at the time. However
subsequently a whole bunch of users complained and quite a few ant-dev
comiitters don't like notion of "magic" names for tasks.

--
Cheers,

Pete

"Therefore it can be said that victorious warriors
win first, and then go to battle, while defeated
warriors go to battle first, and then seek to win."
              - Sun Tzu, the Art Of War