ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Fw: problem with propertyfile task
Date Thu, 04 Oct 2001 09:18:24 GMT
Hi,

On Thu, 4 Oct 2001 08:17, Erik Hatcher wrote:
> How are ant-dev folks building Ant and running test cases?   I'm having
> some environment issues in trying what Levi has provided.
>
> Here's what I've got:
>
>     - Win2k
>     - c:\jakarta\jakarta-ant - this is where I've checked out the
> ANT_14_BRANCH (is there a different branch I should be using?)
>     - I've run 'build' successfully.
>     - I get errors running 'ant' after running the build.
>
> I'm sure my environment variables aren't correct.   How do you configure
> your environment to actually run Ant from the "development environment"
> (i.e. directory structure straight from CVS)?   Do you set ANT_HOME?  to
> where?

I run straight from CVS directories when modifying stuff. I NEVER set
ANT_HOME and neither should anyone else *unless* you run win9x (which suffers
from brain dead scripting). When you want to install it into you "real"
directory you should just be able to do

./build.sh -Ddist.dir=/opt/apps/ant install

(or to wherever you want to install it)

and all should be good.

> Is this an RTFM and I'm just not reading the FM?  :)   If so, point me
> there gently!

I am not sure there is a FM entry for this - the only way to find out about
it I think is by reading build file ?

--
Cheers,

Pete

| Programming today is a race between software engineers  |
| striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof         |
| programs,and the universe trying to produce bigger and  |
| better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.         |
|                       - Richard Cook                    |