ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: evaluation on demand in 2.0
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2001 11:54:35 GMT
On Tue, 2 Oct 2001 18:39, Holger Engels wrote:
> possible solution:
>
> -> evaluate the path definition on demand - probably more than once a
>    build
>

> rationale:
>
> -> a target depends on a path, the same way as targets depend on other
> targets
>

> Discussion?

We talked about (and I think we agreed?) that there should be 3 phases;
definition, resolution and usage.

Ie the following would define it
  <path id="some.path">
    <pathelement path="${build.classpath}/" />
    <fileset dir="${build}/lib">
      <include name="*.jar" />
    </fileset>
  </path>

However it wouldn't be resolved until actually used. This resolution could
happen as task executes or via something like

<property name="..." value="${some.path}"/>

which would resolve the value (ie create list of files in path).

This could be applied universally to any types that implement Resolvable. So
it definetly sounds like a good idea! ;)

--
Cheers,

Pete

 Logic: The art of being wrong with confidence...