ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: SUMMARY: loading tasks from jars for Ant 1.5 summary feedback
Date Fri, 12 Oct 2001 00:18:29 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Dawson" <tdawson@wamnet.com>
To: <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2001 14:24
Subject: SUMMARY: loading tasks from jars for Ant 1.5 summary feedback

> In summary of the previous thread the proposal is now:
>
> ------------
> 1. Deployment Descriptor
>
> Specify a deployment descriptor for an antlib jar. This would reside in
> "meta-inf/antlib.xml" and have a simple structure:
>
> <antlib version="1.0">
>    <task name="..." class="..."/>
>    <task name="..." class="..."/>
>    <type name="..." class="..."/>
>    <type name="..." class="..."/>
> </antlib>
>
> NOTE: datatype shortened to "type" from previous proposal.

What was so horribly wrong about my extra descriptor elements that caused
them to be left out:-

"3. Other things that should go in the descriptor

    -minimum ant version supported
    -home page of tasklib
    -comment text
    -tasklib URI
    -tasklib version

The ant version lets the loader not load something into a version of ant
which is too old to support it.

Home page and comment text provide information for users

tasklib URI and versions are placeholders for any more dynamic loading
system that someone cares to implement in the very far future. "

The thing is, even if these things dont get paid attention to, once you
define an xml manifest you are often stuck with it for ages and ages. So
even though 'adding stuff before it is needed' goes against XP processes, I
would like to see them in there or some very good reasons why they shouldnt.

-Steve