ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <j_a_fernan...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Problem with parallel mode
Date Tue, 30 Oct 2001 03:02:27 GMT
From: "Ken Wood" <kwood@i2.com>

> Parallel, async, I don't care the details
> of the implementation. I just need to get
> my job done.

Isn't that what we all want?

> The requirement is also to be able to shutdown
> cleanly in the event of a test stuck in a loop, and
> to be able to shutdown cleanly in the event of
> a build exception. The specifics of how that requirement
> are moot to me.

In the case of build exceptions (build failures), the standard answer is to use a BuildListener
which shutsdown
the server in case of a failure. Yes it requires programming from you, but it could be as
simple as executing an ANT target that runs the code to shutdown.

> However, why am I using <parallel> right now?
>
> 1. It EXISTS. It's there. All the rest is discussion.
>    And I don't have time to be doing the programming
>    or extensions, or I would already have done it...

Well if you cannot contribute the work, you may need to wait for others to have the time to
contribute the code.

> 2. The Ant 1.4 documentation specifically uses the example
>    of starting a server and running tests against it and
>    stopping the server. If that is NOT what <parallel> is
>    for, then better documentation and examples are in order...

I never believed too much on those particular examples, to tell you the truth. But I did not
created that task. ;-)

> How do I 'check "tests.succesful" to verify if tests passed or not'?
> That sounds like scripting to me, and Ant doesn't have conditionals
> or branching... :^)

The pattern for doing this is quite well understood given the current ANT semantics, you just
need a conditional target that tests for it:

    <target name="tests" depends="run-tests, check-tests" />

    <target name="check-tests" unless="tests.successful" >
      <fail message="Error during testing" />
    </target>

    <target name="run-tests">
     <!-- more or less the code I proposed before -->
    </target>

Jose Alberto

> Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:
> >
> > From: "Ken Wood" <kwood@i2.com>
> >
> > > Another aspect to consider is, how much do we want to focus
> > > on near term fixes to the Ant 1.x stream of development vs.
> > > discussing the best way to do it in Ant 2.x? Since Conor
> > > added the parallel task, I'd be happy to see his proposal,
> > > and unless there is some tremendous reason NOT to, let Conor
> > > update parallel for Ant 1.x while we debate Ant 2.x design.
> > >

> > The problem I have here is the BCS (Backward Compatibility Syndrome) whatever we
define today (in a rush) we will have to provide the same functionality in the future. Like,
for example, the issue with <ant> where all the management of "basedir" is really a
mess IMHO. But because that the way it is, now there is no way to change it.
> > Even in Ant2, I suspect, we will have to provide ways to mimic this odd behaviour
(even if with different notation) so that people have a way to port their builds over.

> > > In other words, I'd like a solution this week, not 3 months
> > > of debate (be it civil or not :^) while I continue to kludge
> > > this by manualing shutdown the server from another console,
> > > then ending the build from the command line with CTRL-C...
> > >

> > One of the things I notice in the kind of problem you are facing is that you are
trying to use <parallel> to workaround the fact that ANT is unable to spawn new processes
which is what starting a server should mean IMHO.
> > If you were to have such capability, then one could solve your problem as follows:
> >
> >     <target ....>
> >       <spawn ...> <!-- command to start the server -->
> >       <timed  maxtime="3600" failoncancel="no" >
> >         <junit ... failonerror="no" >
> >         <property name="tests.succesful" value="true" />
> >       </timed>
> >       <exec ...> <!-- stop server call -->
> >       <!-- check "tests.succesful" to verify if tests passed or not -->
> >     </target>
> >
> > Now, here I am trying to get back to using a single thread of execution by having
a way to really fork a process.
> > I think such functionality is quite feasible or in the worst case it can be emulated
using daemon Threads.
> > The other task I propose is <timed> (for lack of a better name). The point
of this task is to alot a certain amount
> > of time to execute its body, if time is exceeded <timed> is stopped and depending
on the setting the task will fail or not.

> > Now, this does not diminish the usefulness of <parallel> nor the need for
more supporting tasks, but it may give us more time to discuss how to do it right.