ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: SUMMARY: loading tasks from jars for Ant 1.5 summary feedback
Date Fri, 12 Oct 2001 22:17:05 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <j_a_fernandez@yahoo.com>

> >As I said, unless we think this new things must be mandatory, tey can be
> added later.
>
>> Unique ID and version should go in from the begininning. If the stuff is
in
>> there you can enum all tasks, find out their names and origins. Or have a
>> server which retains versions of tasks so you could send a query
>>     //taskserver/fetch?libname=org.apache.ant.tasklibs.cpp&version=1.3
>> and then the server could return the appropriate version of the library.
>>

>All this jar-global type of information is already standarized in the JAR
format. Although as other >people have mentioned I am not fanaic of
extensions, I do not think we should come up with yet >another different
standard for it. This whole installation bussiness is confusing and
complicated >enough already for us to define yet anothar way.

>Take a look at:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/docs/guide/extensions/versioning.html which
defines >the algorithm to be used for recognizing the correct library. Even
if we do not do what applets >classloaders are suppose to do, we at least
should be able to use the fields in the manifest to put >the information
there.

I see...though I also see that the manifest's 'legacy' nature as a property
file makes it a bit unwieldy to store nested data about dependencies.

anyway, your point that this is in the main java manifest already is valid,
and no, we dont need to duplicate what is in the jar manifest already, no
matter how inelegantly it is done there.

-steve