ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <j_a_fernan...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: SUMMARY: loading tasks from jars for Ant 1.5 summary feedback
Date Fri, 12 Oct 2001 02:51:31 GMT
From: "Steve Loughran" <steve_l@iseran.com>

As long as the attributes are not mandatory, you can always add them later.

> "3. Other things that should go in the descriptor
>
>     -minimum ant version supported
I have no much problem with this. But what kind of checking are you suggesting doing. Will
a lib for 1.5 mean that it should work with 2.0 (ANT2). My problem with this kind of thing
is that in reality the rules are more complicated than just a min version. Notice that upto
now we are keen on maintaining buildfile compatibility but not as much for code.

>     -home page of tasklib
No problem if optional, but notice this xml file is kind of buried in the jar, unless there
are GUI tools that access this info, it is not too useful. And in that case you will probably
want something more sofisticated than a homepage.

>     -comment text
>     -tasklib URI
What does this mean? Is it some sort of uniiversal global name for the library? Who is going
to maintain this namespace?

>     -tasklib version
Isn't this what "version" is specifying?

> The ant version lets the loader not load something into a version of ant
> which is too old to support it.
>
> Home page and comment text provide information for users
>
> tasklib URI and versions are placeholders for any more dynamic loading
> system that someone cares to implement in the very far future. "
>

> The thing is, even if these things dont get paid attention to, once you
> define an xml manifest you are often stuck with it for ages and ages. So
> even though 'adding stuff before it is needed' goes against XP processes, I
> would like to see them in there or some very good reasons why they shouldnt.

As I said, unless we think this new things must be mandatory, tey can be added later.

Jose Alberto