ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: proposed submissions for Ant to function on NetWare
Date Thu, 11 Oct 2001 00:51:56 GMT
Wow. you have been busy. I am impressed.

There are some guidelines as to what is the best practise for a task
submission:-
http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/ant_task_guidelines.html

However, you have gone beyond the usual submission of a new task or a few
changes. I hope everyone who uses Java on Netware is suitably grateful (as
an aside, what is the situation of Java on Netware - you have your own port
of the Sun code, right? Which version?)

I think the best thing to do is, after reviewing the guidelines, post the
changes to the list. People are usually more cautious about making changes
into the core functionality, but to support a whole new platform it will
have to be done. The key issue will be verifying that no other
platform/build breaks with the changes made.

What are the big changes you had to make? You mentioned file system
differences What were they? And what about the <exec> task?

-steve

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Tulley" <JTULLEY@novell.com>
To: <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2001 16:05
Subject: proposed submissions for Ant to function on NetWare

Hi all,
   I am very new to the ant-dev mailing list, and to developing on the Ant
source code base at all.  I have been trying to get Ant functioning on
Novell's NetWare OS, and found many problems doing so.  Most of them have to
do with the fact that a lot of Ant code assumes it is running in either a
unix environment or a windows environment only.

  I have gone through the code and extended all such code so that it deals
with NetWare paths correctly without breaking functionality on the other
platforms (I have tested on Windows NT, as well as on Linux).  Many times I
was able to simply piggy-back on windows behavior, and other times I had to
add in new code specific to NetWare's file system differences.

  I need to know how to go about submitting my work.  I welcome any reviews
that are necessary, realizing that this is my first submission to an
open-source project.   (Hopefully not the last!)

Things I have done

  - extended the Ant core code to work with NetWare

  - verified that my changes do not break Ant on Windows NT 4.0 (Sun JVM
1.3)

  - verified that my changes do not break Ant on Linux 2.2.18 (IBM JVM
1.3.0)

  - reviewed the functionality of the tests on NetWare, either:
     - fixing bugs in my code that were exposed by the test suite    OR
     - refactoring a few lines of test code to have different expectations
on NetWare (in these cases, there were different assumptions for Unix than
for Windows, and now there is simply a NetWare case).

Things I have NOT done

  - created any of the NetWare equivalents to ant(.bat), antRun(.bat), or
lcp(.bat)
        This task does need completed and I intend to continue on with doing
this, but unfortunately the batch file processing on NetWare is very
primitive.  There is not even an "if" statement.  Ports of other BAT or
shell scripts from other works have typically involved a complete
refactoring of the scripts, dumbing them down and hardcoding some stuff.  I
need to figure out how to do this properly, with a minimum of hardcoded
items.

  - fixed certain "pre-existing" bugs exposed by the testsuites on NetWare,
which had nothing to do with the code changes that I made.  I did
due-diligence in looking at each of these issues fairly in-depth before
choosing to temporarily ignore them.  I'll log them as bugs on the NetWare
platform, and probably be the one to fix them as time permits.  (and as ant
release schedules dictate, if needs be).

    I also probably need to examine some of the test suite more in-depth,
making sure that code coverage is high for the things that I changed.  I
will continue working on this.
    If one of the committers on this project will point me the right
direction, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

 - Jeff Tulley  (jtulley@novell.com)