ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Louis Tribble" <louis.trib...@webgain.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/zip ZipOutputStream.java
Date Mon, 29 Oct 2001 17:38:00 GMT
Ouch. I want to reply ASAP. Any comments.

Louis
----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephane Bailliez" <sbailliez@imediation.com>
To: "Ant Developers List" <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, October 29, 2001 1:17 AM
Subject: RE: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/zip ZipOutputStream.java

MAudit optional task. :-)

The tool (ex Metamata Audit) is now available from Webgain since they
acquired Metamata a couple of months ago:
http://www.webgain.com/products/quality_analyzer/
It is still compatible with the task.

Cool tool, even though the GUI is hell for running or configuring, it is
very useful. Too bad it does not seems to be enhanced due to other marketing
considerations. It would be nice to see Javadoc checking and indentation as
additional features.

It underlines potential coding problems such as coumpound assignement,
complex loop operations, nested assignement, unnecessary casts, hiding of
names, multiple visible declaration, badly located array declarators, unused
declarations, enclosing body of if/else/loop statements, ...

The main advantage of using the task is that you can have an XML report of
all these errors, it's then easy to process it via XSL (see maudit.xsl in
src/etc) and publish the errors on your intranet or whatever.

I'm doing this for every nightly build in my company along with JUnit tests
and metrics (MMetrics). There is still a lot to do in this area and not many
companies working in the QA field seems to be aware of what people really
need during development.

--
 St├ęphane Bailliez
 Software Engineer, Paris - France