ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <j_a_fernan...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [Ant2] Tasks as siblings of <target>
Date Tue, 30 Oct 2001 14:35:17 GMT
From: "Peter Donald" <donaldp@apache.org>

> On Tue, 30 Oct 2001 20:16, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> > > Is Jose's approach of having an empty interface going to be
> > > accepted?
> >
> > All I've seen so far are a number of "I could live with this"
> > statements, but no strong support for either option.
>
> The main hesitation on my part is that you want to identify badly setup build
> files as early as possible - preferrably in the parser or some such. However
> as the interface a class implements can only be tested for in the very bowels
> of the implementation I am very hesitent to adopt it. I would prefer a
> manifest entry or flag in type library descriptor or something like that if
> this was the path we chose to go.

I have no problem in principle with that. As long as we can eliminate all traces of hardcoded
tasks from the parser I am happy.

This would also mean changes in the current way we install tasks/types today (i.e., property
files), since e need to pass more than just a name-value pair. We could move to something
like my <antlib> right away.

On another related matter, is there any strong reason why datatypes are not a subclass of
Task (i.e., a specialized type of Task with a predefined or fixed execute()). I ask this because
if you look at the parser code there is really no much reason for differentiating between
the two at parser time.

This may also bridge the gap between <property> and other <types>.

Jose Alberto