ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: SUMMARY: loading tasks from jars for Ant 1.5 summary feedback
Date Fri, 12 Oct 2001 05:49:54 GMT

> "3. Other things that should go in the descriptor
>
>     -minimum ant version supported
I have no much problem with this. But what kind of checking are you
suggesting doing. Will a lib for 1.5 mean that it should work with 2.0
(ANT2). My problem with this kind of thing is that in reality the rules are
more complicated than just a min version. Notice that upto now we are keen
on maintaining buildfile compatibility but not as much for code.

>     -home page of tasklib
No problem if optional, but notice this xml file is kind of buried in the
jar, unless there are GUI tools that access this info, it is not too useful.
And in that case you will probably want something more sofisticated than a
homepage.

>>     -comment text
>>     -tasklib URI
>What does this mean? Is it some sort of uniiversal global name for the
library? Who is >going to maintain this namespace?

I meant any kind of unique ID for the task. Conor's package naming is fine.

>     -tasklib version
Isn't this what "version" is specifying?

we need version of the manifest file and version of the tasklib.

>As I said, unless we think this new things must be mandatory, tey can be
added later.

Unique ID and version should go in from the begininning. If the stuff is in
there you can enum all tasks, find out their names and origins. Or have a
server which retains versions of tasks so you could send a query
    //taskserver/fetch?libname=org.apache.ant.tasklibs.cpp&version=1.3
and then the server could return the appropriate version of the library.

-Steve