ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: PROPOSAL: loading tasks from jars for Ant 1.5
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2001 23:01:27 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <j_a_fernandez@yahoo.com>
To: <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2001 14:28
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: loading tasks from jars for Ant 1.5

>I see your proposal as two additional tasks:
>
>    1) A task that creates the descriptor from the javadoc information. The
result is the XML file.

>    2) A task similar to <war> that simplifies creating the jar with the
correct content in it. Which >we should provide no matter what. This task
may also provide a way to define the descriptor in->line. something like:

><antar file="mylib.jar" .... >
 > <descriptor>
 >   <task name="xyz" class="c.p.q" />
 > </descriptor>
 ></antar>
>
>optionaly you could say the descriptor comes from a file which could be
produced by (1) above.

Yes. well summarised.

Task 1 mostly exists already: xdoclet; from http://xdoclet.sourceforge.net/.
It can generate EJB and taglib descriptors from comments, and processes the
promised @todo well in advance of javadoc support.

Task 2: I hadn't thought of that, but yes, it is the way to do it.

Also I could envisage a better <antdtd> task which uses the descriptors,
especially if they provide more accurate information attrs and elements; and
a <antdoc> to generate the ant manual pages from javadocs or some
presentation independent format, using the tasklib descriptor as input into
the process.