ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Curt Arnold" <carn...@houston.rr.com>
Subject Re: C++ tasks
Date Thu, 11 Oct 2001 02:49:58 GMT
> I'm hoping to begin work on this again soon (in the next few weeks) but my
> intent includes a substantial rewrite of the initial task.  Mostly because
> want to speed the task up so I intend to include multithreading
capabilities
> into the task.  For now though this is still in design with coding
hopefully
> to start end of month.

Speed is a very good thing.

> If needed I can repost both Adam and My tasks to the list or else email
them
> direct to you.

I'd appreciate your sending them to me.

> One word of warning is that the linker part of my task does not function
> properly on Sun Workshop, other then that everything should be working

My primary interest is driving the Microsoft Visual C++ compiler on Win32.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on compile speed minimization.  If compilation
is processor-bound and you aren't on a multiprocessor system, I wouldn't
think that multiple threads would gain you any performance.  Though a
thread-per-processor would probably be appropriate.

Definitely, I would think that you would want to minimize the number of
processes created (that is not exec a new process for each .c[pp] file) and
minimize the number times CL.EXE is loaded.

Would the same optimizations be appropriate for gcc or other C++ compilers,
other platforms?

Any thoughts on dependency checking?