ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ant and FileSystem
Date Tue, 11 Sep 2001 11:42:12 GMT
On Tue, 04 Sep 2001, Alejandro Abdelnur <alejandro.abdelnur@sun.com>
wrote:

> i've run into a similar problem in the ant's antfile, the problem
> appears to be a bug in the java.io.File.isAbsolute() method in the
> windows platform.

Judging from your patch I assume that you think File.isAbsolute()
should return true for \temp on Windows, right?

>From the javadocs of File:

>> An absolute pathname is complete in that no other information is
>> required in order to locate the file that it denotes.

with this definition, I think you are wrong.

A completely different issue is whether FileUtils.normalize() should
treat \temp the same way it treats an absolute path (it does) - I'm
not sure as I cannot really see all consequences here.

In which situation would a Windows user (I'm not part of that
community, so I don't really know) use \temp instead of C:\temp?

> i think the place to add this workaround is the
> FileUtils.normalize() method,

I think it already treats paths starting with File.separator as
absolute paths.  Looks as if <ant> should use
FileUtils.resolveFile(dir, antfile) in its execute method.

> then the ant.setAntfile() method should be retrofitted to use the
> normalized (similarly any other attribute that expects a file name).

Most tasks have setters that expect a File argument when they expect
filenames - these setters will receive File instances that went
through FileUtils.normalize (via FileUtils.resolveFile) automatically.

Stefan