ant-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Alejandro Abdelnur <alejandro.abdel...@sun.com>
Subject Re: [PATCH] PropertyCopy and Foreach (NEW OPTIONAL TASKS)
Date Wed, 26 Sep 2001 23:46:50 GMT
craeg,

> Can you give an example where you would need an ordered collection,
> rather than a set?

yes i can.

i've built a development environment based on ant for a big project (35K source files - java,
html, jsp, xml, etc.), it takes care of building (compiling), deploying (token replacement)
and installing (copying stuff to the right place). the project is divided in several functional
modules that evolve at their own speed, each module has a set of source files. this functional
modules create a non cyclical graph of dependencies for the building process, i.e.: to build
module C you need module B already built, and for building B you need A built first. the master
build file goes over all the modules in the
*defined* order building them.

if the order is not enforced the build fails.

breaking the whole project in modules speeds up the building process significantly because
developers can use binary versions of the modules they are not working on but they have dependencies.

cheers.

a

"Craeg K. Strong" wrote:

> Matt:
>
> Jose and Stefan have expressed technical reasons why a particular
> order of execution cannot/should not be guaranteed by foreach.
> I understand their point of view, but IMHO there is a more serious
> underlying philosophical reason why this would not be a good thing.
>
> When you say "people are used to it executing in a defined order"
> To me this says there is some kind of implied dependency between
> the tasks.  This would represent a loss of information, because you
> then would have dependencies that are not captured explicitly in Ant.
>
> I have created a fairly extensive set of Ant buildfiles, and have several
> places where I perform tasks on a set of items.  While some kind of looping
> or foreach task would make my buildfiles more concise, it would not
> otherwise change the functionality.  No particular ordering is required.
>
> Can you give an example where you would need an ordered collection,
> rather than a set?
>
> --Craeg
>
> Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:
>
> >Ant is not a Scripting/Programming tool. It expresses in a declarative fashion the
way to build something. You do not specify the total order of all targets. It is upto ANT's
dependecy engine to decide the order of execution as long as dependencies are preserved. There
is no reason why FOREACH should work any different. If the iterations are computed based on
<fileset> or some other, then we need to be aware that such constructs are SETS and
such there is no order associated with its elements. And there is little way to guarantee
that it will be iterated in the sameorder on every OS that may ever exists.
> >
> >Jose Alberto
> >
> >From: "Matthew Inger" <matti@sedonacorp.com>
> >
> >>I think that not guaranteeing the order of
> >>a foreach task is a very bad thing.  It's
> >>a scripting/programming style task, and people
> >>are used to it executing in a defined order,
> >>and to change that at some later date would
> >>produced behavior that some might not expect.
> >>
>
> >>


Mime
View raw message