ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Craeg K. Strong" <cstr...@arielpartners.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSE] Enhancements to <style> and <xmlvalidate> for 1.5
Date Fri, 14 Sep 2001 17:30:25 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>On Wed, 12 Sep 2001, Craeg K. Strong <cstrong@arielpartners.com>
>wrote:
>
>>First off, <style> and <xmlvalidate> could be upgraded to _only_
>>support TraX.  I proposed this already for release 1.5 and it didn't
>>seem too controversial.
>>
>I'm not sure whether this is a good idea, I'm afraid there is still a
>bunch of people using Xalan1 or XSL:P (although I have no evidence for
>it).  This is no veto, I'm just expressing an uneasy feeling.

Perhaps we could officially deprecate support for non-TraX processors
for 1.5,
to be removed in 1.6?

Speaking of which, it would be nice to adopt an official deprecation
policy, and to document
it in a short blurb on the website.    For example: "obsolete features
are deprecated for one release,
and are removed in the following release.  If you feel strongly about a
feature that has been deprecated,
please express yourself on the appropriate mailing list."    I mention
this b/c I noticed that cruft like <copydir>
has been hanging around for an awfully long time.   Hmmmm... I remember
someone mentioned
"encouraging evil practices"   ;-)

>>Secondly, we could add optional hooks for resolvers.
>>
>I'm fine with that - you could add warning messages in the Xalan1 and
>XSL:P cases (or even throw in a different implementation if there is
>one), that way we could retain the xalan1 and XSL:P processors.

<sigh>  I hate "special cases" like that, but will do...

>>The implementation could use Class.forName() and make sure it is of
>>the correct type.
>>
>Better use AntClassLoader to load the class - at least in the <style>
>case with a nested <classpath> element.

sounds good.

>Stefan

--Craeg